Friday, March 17, 2006

Mama Ball Says

Hoo-wah, the boy is FIVE!!! The kids were home today as daycare had staff development today, so I took the day off, spent the morning at the park with them, and did birthday stuff in the afternoon with Jake while Sadie slept. We made a birthday cake, opened up Aunt Kathy and Uncle Wome's presents (the Playmobil grocery store set and grocery delivery van), read some of Granny's Thomas book, and Jake rested on the couch while I cleaned the kitchen (read: did everything short of sandblasting the floor ... damn, do I need a cleaning service) The weather was chilly, but it was bright and sunny and we had a nice day.
UJ came over after work, and Mimi and Pop-pop came over for pizza and corned beef and cabbage (Italians are so damn strange about St Paddy's day). Jake got one of those battery-powered cars -- one he can ride in and drive -- from them. That's what Steve wanted for him last year, but I wouldn't let him have it last year. I caved this year. It went well overall, even with Sadie ruining the birthday cake. I had set it up on the bar between the living room and dining room to finish cooling, and she crawled up to the top of the couch and took a couple fistfuls out of the top of the cake. Jake was more than a little pissed, until I covered the whole top with ice cream and then you couldn't see any of the mess she made. After everyone left tonight and Sadie passed out, Steve and Jake worked on setting up the pieces to the grocery store. There are a lot of stickers for all the parts, and Jake was really good about putting them on correctly by himself.
Tomorrow should be easier (somewhat) as the bowling alley provides everything. I did want to get some balloons, so I am going to go out in the morning and go get a couple dozen to bring with us. I have to go drop by Freya's and pick up the camera to use, too. I have the goodie bags all taken care of, so that should be no problem, and Mom and Kristen both sent thank-you notes. The only other thing tomorrow is that Big C is coming by about noontime, and Steve asked him to take pics of the four grandkids together in hopes of getting one he could blow up and give to Lucille for her birthday in a few weeks. We'll see. She apparently also told him that she does want an all-family picture, so he is going to have to call Bea and get the name of the photographer that handled her family portrait sessions. Hopefully he will get that done soon so he can get a time for the photo session as soon as possible.
Talked to Kathy for a while this afternoon. Apparently she and Jerome have decided that he will go work for a contractor in Baghdad, setting up computer network infrastructure for the new Iraqi government. He'll be working in the middle of the Green Zone which is supposed to be the most secure area, surrounded by Marines etc... but still. The money is phenomenal, but I guess it has to be to attract the kind of talent they need and give them a reason to put up with having to be there for months and months. He's going in April to help finish up work on one contract, and then will stay on for a full contract period. Yeeeeeeeeeeeee.. I told her to load his bags up with Neosporin. Forgot to tell her about the flea collars. I'll tell her tomorrow. Shit, and I thought I had a lot on my plate. Kathy is going to work on starting her own business, which I think she will like a lot.

No comments: