Saturday, March 11, 2006

Mama Ball Says

All I have to say is "holy cow." Kindergarten parent orientation was ... interesting. I think aside from the elementary school staff in the cafeteria, there were probably about a dozen or so other people who appeared to be relatively normal. The rest of the people filling up the place were a bunch of Barbie doll clones with designer shoes and bags, and expensive clothes that had OBVIOUSLY never had any kind of child-generated bodily fluid on them. The clique sitting in the row behind me were busy discussing their nannies and manicures before the principal got started. Aside from the parents with whom I am doubtful I will have anything in common with, the meeting went well. The staff there seems to be a great group, the principal is a nice man who appears to know his parent community (as in they have an opening day ceremony that involves leaving the parents at the curb). The kicker is that they have 107 kids that the district knows about living in the school's assigned area ... so Jake will be 108. There are four teachers, and max number of kids per class is 23, so if they hit 92 registrations, he will have to ask the district for another kindergarten teacher. It just depends on how many parents choose to send their kids to private schools. If I can get him in, it will make things easier, as Steve has announced he will not be helping. Pain in my ass. I'll have to leave work to go pick Jake up, and bring him back to work with me if I can't get him in to the after programs (which are not year round and never on Wednesdays).
Alice is coming to take Jake to the movies this afternoon, so that should be fun for him. He and Sadie were digging holes in the garden this morning and getting muddy -- they were so filthy we stripped them down in the driveway and took them down to the basement bathroom for a bath. They were both exhausted, but they had a really good time.
I need to get out of here at some point.
Staff development yesterday was good -- we have the game plan for the next year, until things change and we get rid of the scheduled classes. After that, it'll be a whole different ballgame. Should be interesting. Talked to my compadre for next year, and we are going to meet some evening this coming week and go out for dinner to discuss the battle plan before we meet with the admins. THAT will definitely be interesting. I hope the team plan idea I have in mind will actually work.

No comments: