Friday, May 25, 2007

Join the Club, Honey

That's what I told me dear retiring evaluator and OFL in the meeting when they shut the door and said, "We wish things were working better with you and Eeyore." This was after ten minutes of me going through the stats of the media center for the year, improvements, successes, plans for next year, OFL poking fun at me for what I wrote, etc. All THAT went well.
And then we had to deal with the elephant in the room: what do we do with that limp noodle of mostly-but-not-quite-enough incompetence? After a few more stellar examples from this week and me saying "Help me. I am not going to scream and yell. I am not going to turn into Marvaline the Wonder Bitch. What am I supposed to DO about this? How do I motivate her to do a better job?"
General plan for next year is that
  1. OFL will take over evaluating, and
  2. He will also attend media staff meetings (yes to monthly, maybe to more than monthly if needed). If we have more than monthly and OFL cannot attend the extras he will get the minutes.
  3. Divide and conquer duties and make those divisions public and recordable on the monthly reports and meeting minutes. That's going to involve some alterations to the monthly reports so that what's actually happening and who's responsible for what are both clearly visible.
The hope is two-fold: I will be more motivated to step back and let what happens happen -- and not get stuck putting out fires (if she fucks up I will let her stew in it until I get a specific request to fix whatever it is -- and that's got to be noted somewhere in the meeting minutes or the monthly reports). Eeyore will be more motivated to accomplish her tasks and perform her professional responsibilities (READ, go to meetings and not leave in the middle) because there will be public accounting going on of what she does on at least a monthly basis. I have no idea what happens if this doesn't work. I guess that's up to OFL.

Eeyore had her year-end eval also. Friday morning she casually said, "You know, I have my meeting with ___ today. I don't even know what time it is, and I haven't prepared anything. Oh well." I didn't say anything. Just stared at her. Frankly, I was a bit shocked, especially since Eeyore was working on getting tenure this year. For someone who exhibits paranoid tendencies on a regular basis, you would think she would have made some effort to prepare for that. Apparently it ranks right up there with reading books, figuring out what should go on the website and preparing for classes and teacher projects. None of that shit gets done either.
I saw her after school, and I said I had to go pick up The Boy at 3:10. Eeyore decided it would be a good idea to try to start a serious conversation about how "I want this to work. I know we had a disagreement a few months ago [hmmm...you think?] but I think if we divide responsibilities it will be fine.....blah blah repeat and rinse [I look at the clock, it's now 3:08, crap] and I stopped her to say "Why don't we have coffee on Tuesday morning before your first class and discuss that? We have a lot of work to do here -- now and next year." Told her I had to leave and ran off before she could drag that out any more. Don't know exactly what was said at the meeting she had, but it couldn't have been all peaches and cream the way she was talking and blabbering on.
This weekend we have the Stamford wedding/arraignment, then two days of family time. Hopefully things will go well across the board. It's getting WARM!

No comments: