Tuesday, May 22, 2007

End of the Year stats

It's May, and I have my end-of-the-year meeting with my evaluator this Thurs, and a scheduled meeting with OFL and The BossLady downtown on the 5th to discuss progress this year and budget items/plans for summer and next year. I spent four periods today crunching numbers and sorting through data to get a comprehensive picture of what was accomplished this year.
  • The average age of the library as a whole has dropped from 22 years to 16 years
  • Circulation is up to over 7600 (from 6900). If I did the math correctly we're up almost 11% over last year.
  • We spent $15,000 from the budget on books and resources for the library
  • We spent $2,120 on new furnishings from the bookfair account (our comfy Costco chairs)
  • We spent about another $2,000 on books from our local bookstores
  • We had two major authors visit: Stephenie Meyer in September and Peter Abrahams in March
  • Out of 68 booktalks this year, I did 59 solo. I did three tandem with Eeyore (that does NOT work) and the other six she did herself. Given that those were with three teachers who have all specifically said they do not want her doing booktalks with their classes again, we're going to run into problems next year.
  • We have a top ten books checked out of the media center list, and a top series checked out of the media center list. I'll post those later -- they're still on my desk at work.
  • I met with the 8th grade team, Eeyore met with the 6th grade team, and we are both supposed to meet with the 7th grade team Thurs to get feedback and requests for next year.
  • I figured out that I reviewed or recommended almost 60 books online, and I read over 200 more this year. That's pretty good given the load of shit I had to deal with.
  • I have a working website for my teaching materials, a book reviews page, I rebuilt the middle school summer reading website for GPS, and I've been recommending books to the Language Arts Dept for possible inclusion in the curriculum work this summer.
  • I learned to use social bookmarks through del.icio.us, have a bloglines account to handle all my rss feeds, and am going to post the scenic Washington photos I took on Flickr.
It's been a long strange year in the Hundred Acre Wood. I am much better with all this webmaster shit than I was last year, but have given up primary responsibility for that function to Eeyore -- who persists in doing it halfassed (and occasionally FUBARing it, like last week). It irritates me to no end to know that. Next year is looking more and more crazed, with the advent of the e-learning portals (read: customizable nightmare for teachers, students and parents). Eeyore didn't even bother to stay through the final webmaster meeting yesterday and so has no fucking clue what any of this is going to be like. Yet she insists "the web is MY job."
If I could figure out what she could do well, I'd ask her to just focus on that. She does okay with the 6th grade classes, but loses the 8th grade classes on a regular basis. Booktalks are a disaster and she doesn't read. I get complaints from the teachers on a regular basis that she is boring and that she doesn't do what they need her to do. We had a teacher this week doing research and Eeyore flatout refused to help her introduce the books to the kids -- even though that was what she had done last semester for her. Bizarre. I asked her to take the book orders we got this year and figure out what we didn't receive so we could look at percentages and reordering canceled items, and nothing has ever come of that. I need to make sure that whatever she is responsible for doing goes on the monthly reports -- so it's obvious to OFL and BossLady who's doing what and who's not doing what.
Is is June yet????

No comments: