Thursday, February 22, 2007

Michelangelo I Am Not

After two days (about eight hours total I think), one gallon of primer and almost two gallons of flat paint, the media center walls are now all some variety of white (the oldest paint actually looks grey, but that's beside the point). We now no longer have the weird purple stripe running the length of the room, and the giant overbearing dark blue oval is now all white. I was up on a ladder painting the high areas of the oval (mostly over my head) and I have a much greater respect for anyone who can paint like that on a regular basis. As the title says, Michelangelo I am not, but I got the job done and it looks pretty nice. It's amazing how much just those two places brightened up the space. Kanga and I also painted the column behind the media desk... just one coat, but the difference was phenomenal. She is such a trooper. I bought her lunch and a cerveza today when we went out with OFL, The Boss, and Owl. We did have a few minor mishaps with the paint, mostly caught by the dropcloths and the tarp, but there were several instances where K's paint roller spongy-thing went flying off the metal roller and landed on the rug. We both laughed, mostly because the rug is in such disastrously dismal shape that the paint splats don't even really matter. If Eeyore complains, I'll just put duct tape over them -- not like THAT'S an unusual occurrence. I'm hoping that this project will make our media center seem nicer for the students and staff, and show them that we do care about the quality of the appearance of the place. Hopefully the new chairs will come soon, and if I get really lucky the tables will still be at Lillian August when I go next week. If not I'll get the one big table and the two smaller ones if those are still there. That'll be an interesting trip. Haven't told OFL about the rug estimate yet ... that's a summer project anyway, so I haven't worried about getting those numbers to him yet.
And now the cranky griping:
Every major thing that has happened with the facilities has been directly my decision so far (weeding, all the new furniture, the painting, discussing blinds/rugs/tile/etc with OFL and Frankenstein). I have tried I don't know how many ways to involve Eeyore, but all she seems to do is drag and delay, and then find something to bitch about once it's done. I'm annoyed, but at the same time I see a pattern, and I really don't feel too uncomfortable making these decisions pretty much without her input (since it's usually negative anyway). The book orders are also left entirely to me since she didn't do anything with them the Friday before vacation, when I specifically asked her to prioritize and send.
Back to a nicer midset:
On the up side, I've read a couple new books over vacation that I've enjoyed, and I posted reviews ("Mrs. B's Favorites" on the EMS site in the Media Center Recommended Reads section). If the weather is reasonably decent tomorrow, I am taking The Boy into NY to the Museum of Natural History tomorrow. I hope it's good, because he's really looking forward to this. Should have asked the Dormouse for the camera!
The Boy had another marvelous day with his beloved blonde bombshell. They went for a wander down to OG and went into the toy store and the bookstore, and then back to her house for lunch and building with legos. She is such a wonderful doll, and he adores her. :)

No comments: