Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Back home, and still embarassing my mother...

Well, the internet connections were a little squirrelly on our trip, not to mention the kids made a habit of going to bed much later than they usually do, and therefore I didn't get much "alone" time in the evenings as I had thought I would.
Anyway, we're home, it was a good trip, and the kids enjoyed themselves a lot.

Fast forward to today -- when I had decided to try painting the upstairs bathroom as a trial project before tackling the kitchen. So the kids and I jump in the car and head off to Home Depot, where they have those nice little paint sample containers for about $3. We picked some colors, and waited somewhat patiently for the guy at the counter to mix them for us. Just before he finished up, a rather pinch-faced elderly lady walked up to me, asked "Is that your daughter?" (pointing to DQ, and I'm expecting the usual comment about her curly long hair or something like that, as she's been reasonably well-behaved). When I said "Yes", this woman announced loudly, "She should not be wearing THOSE SHOES. (points to DQ's purple Crocs) They'll RUIN her feet. They are terrible, and you didn't even buy her the right size -- they are far too big for her, and IT'S DANGEROUS. And you bought them for your son, too! (now points to The Boy's red Crocs) THEY'LL RUIN his feet too! I read all about them, and DON'T YOU KNOW you should buy them better shoes?" She took a breath, at which point my mental ability to control my mouth lost the tug-o-war with my pissed-offedness, and I looked her straight on and said in the best fuckyou voice I have, "As if those are the only shoes they have! I don't know you, and you don't know me, and this is absolutely none of your business. Do you have children?" She was more than a little shocked, and just nodded, so I finished up with "Then why don't you go harass THEM?" I steered both kids to the other side of the paint counter, where the paint mixing guy was trying hard not to laugh.

And now I get to choose which blue I like better upstairs...

No comments: