Saturday, July 17, 2010

Roadtrip 2010: Day 1

Packed up the Tahoe with The Boy and the Drama Queen, and left about 10:30 this morning for the first leg of our road trip to Indiana and back. After getting stuck in traffic on the Tappan Zee bridge (four car pileup in the left lane causing the backup, not very pretty), the rest of the ride was really nice. We stopped just shy of the Pennsylvania line to get lunch (yes, I caved and we went to McDonald's). Next time we do this, there is a scenic overlook about 20 minutes past that stop that would be an awesome place for a picnic lunch. 80 West through Pennsylvania was a nice, easy drive, with lots of wildflowers growing on the wide medians. Tons of Queen Anne's Lace... made me think of childhood days on the farm.
Tech notes: Steve gave me his TomTom to use, but up against the free Mapquest app on my iPhone, I wasn't impressed. I unplugged it after lunch and switched to the Monster cable for my phone, so I could use the Mapquest while playing my ipod tunes through the stereo system. No problem there, and I got an afternoon of Motown classics while the kids were watching Princess Bride and Star Wars.
The kids did very, very well thanks to the dvd player and the goodies they packed in their backpacks. We arrived in New Columbia/Lewisburg around 3ish, where our room wasn't quite ready, so we dumped stuff and hit the pool.
Dinner was at the Country Cupboard -- LOTS of seniors, so it reminded me of all those buffet places we went to with the grandparents growing up, but the food was fresh and good, and definitely a step above the fast food options around. I had the cashew chicken salad, and the kids had chicken and fries and cinnamon applesauce, and after dinner letting them hit the ice cream bar for make your own sundaes was only an extra dollar apiece. Great deal and lots of fun making the softserve sundaes!
Drove around Lewisburg a little after dinner and saw Bucknell University. Really pretty campus... but it's basically right next to the penitentiary. Cross that one off the colleges for the kids list.
Back at the hotel for another round of wear-em-out in the pool, then up to the room for looney tunes movie and bedtime.
Tomorrow we're headed to Penn's Caves in the morning, then on to another Holiday Inn Express just over the Ohio border.

No comments: