Sunday, December 11, 2005

Mama Ball Says

Well, it's mid December and the house is still at the half-baked stage. We did get the tree up, and this year decided NOT to put up any breakable ornaments -- only the ones that would survive everything short of a nuclear blast. Replaced the tinsel with red wooden beaded garland so Jaws wouldn't snarf up the tinsel and choke herself. I thought we had somewhat babyproofed things ...

And then Jake shoved his pirate ship under the tree, got it stuck somehow, and in attempting to yank it out, dumped the whole tree ass over teakettles on top of himself. All we saw were feet and ankles sticking out from the mess for a minute. I have no idea how he did it -- the base of the tree was full of water and it was heavy as hell -- not like he was swinging on the top branches or anything. Who knows. Anyway, after minor flooding and major cleanup, I found the two of them attempting to jump rope with the red bead garland that they had taken off the tree again.
I'm ready for an S&M Christmas, with a naked tree tied to the walls. I need my new meds to kick in soon.

With luck, I will have this place somewhat presentable by Christmas, ready for all the relations to show up and destroy it. I did get a few of my china houses up in the dining room, on the top shelf, and they look nice. I found the pieces for a nativity scene that I actually like, the stockings are up, and the Christmas books are out. I have the family boxes packed and ready to ship (even in the truck!) and the Christmas cards all mailed. What remains is to organize the gifts on this end and get wrapping/packaging, and then get everything else put away. That will be the real trick.

No comments: